Forum / Let's Discuss! / wide hips, stabilizing the wide pelvis

This topic contains 5 replies.
By Message
heather_903
On: June 23, 2015 17:49 PM
I have a question about women with wide pelvises.... they tend to be overweight,hyper mobile, valgus knees and pronated feet when standing but when I put them on the reformer their strategy is to supinate their feet. Any ideas how to work with this?
JenniferGianni
On: July 01, 2015 04:50 AM
Hi Heather, I have also observed this and it can be a bit confusing. In order to line their knees in center they also have to reorganize their feet. They do not have the ability in their ankles to spread across their metatarsals so they go to the opposite end of the spectrum. Into supinating. For these cases remember Rome was not built in a day. So there will not be one cue right away to get the leg and foot alignment perfect. I would start with organizing the feet and maybe doing one foot and a leg at a time with reformer footwork. Set them up with a parallel foot in the home position. Have them do small out and in presses just concentrating on the foot and ankle placement. As they start to lengthen through the leg the knee will most likely want to fall in. Have them move slow and create their own resistance so that they start to fire the musculature around their knee to keep it aligned. Another good sequence and at home exercise would be the footwork with a towel. I did a Pilates Monday show about this. This will help them to create and become aware of the mobility of their Talus . I hope some of this works for you. Let me know how it goes and what you discover and use. Love, Jen
heather_903
On: July 01, 2015 05:21 AM
thanks jennifer...I have been seeing a confusion in these clients in their leg musculature..their glutes are offline and they use their gastroc and bicep femoris short head to get knee and hip extension and it twists their lower leg into supination. I like that foot work on the Pilates Monday and will feed that one into their sessions. thanks dear...it is a beautiful day here ...take care xo
JenniferGianni
On: July 01, 2015 05:40 AM
Yes, I think that is what is happening a lot of times. The glutes being off is a major problem. Especially the lateral component. Try the standing one leg yoga block work at the wall. This will be great functional foot/leg standing alignment and will get that side glue to start to participate. Love Jen
heather_903
On: July 29, 2015 04:49 AM
Hi Jennifer...can non members access the Pilates Monday stuff?..I have been teaching the towel...actually I have Isadora Duncan scarves...lol.... to do this exercise and its very difficult for people to organize their feet...thanks and another question....I have quite a lot of clients who present with hip pain...tight QL on the side of the hip pain, GM locked long, I am trying to help them learn to activate the GM on the block exercise without hiking their hip... but it is such an ingrained pattern to substitute for both hip flexion and extension...any suggestions?
(You must log in post here.)