Forum / Let's Discuss! / The%20bee%27s%20knees

This topic contains 4 replies.
By Message
mikealynn
On: July 11, 2015 12:45 PM
Hi Casey! Your explanation about the biomechanic of knee joint is really interesting, and made me think about knees problems of my clients. Very often I have realized that the slide movement of the patella is reduced (some times doesn't move at all). Do you suggest to focus cues on this movement and with which kind of exercises? In particular in the case of an hyperextended knee. Thanks! Grazie mille! Margherita
Jennifer G
On: July 13, 2015 10:37 AM
Oh yes, cueing the patella can be very helpful to bring more awareness to the area. And again using heat can be very informative to the connective tissue in general. One of my favorite cues with the patella in footwork on the reformer is to traction the knee cap to "chase" the femur heads on hip extension, and then on hip flexion I tell them to slide the patella down the tibia. This really helps clients to get a full sensory experience of how the knee joint works and feels. Hope this helps! Ciao Bella! Casey Marie Herdt
mikealynn
On: January 21, 2016 12:13 PM
Hi! I have a client with valgus knees (I'm not sure that is the correct word in English for "X legs"!) with a lot of pain in the side and back part of the joint. I'm actually working on rebalancing the musculature but about the alignment I can't pretend to change a physiological misalignment, isn't it? So, do you have some suggestions to decrease pain and inflammation? Thanks! Margherita
Casey H
On: February 01, 2016 20:50 PM
Hi Margherita, It is always so good to hear from you! If someone is born with that kind of a structure or it has been ingrained since they were a little one then it cannot be changed very much. But you are very correct about balancing the tissue and creating more ease. You are probably already doing this but releasing the inner thighs and strengthening the lateral leg is of the utmost importance. There is most likely a lot of tension and rigidity around and inside the pelvis. Doing simple footwork on the reformer with a focus on the femur moving really well in the hip socket would be a priority. On top of that, work with release tools and heat ( SmartSpine work would be great!) to balance the pelvis and release excess gripping. You should also apply some fascial fitness concepts and exercises into this clients studio and homework. The consistency of doing some of the fascial work 2 times a week ( just for a few minutes) will make a huge difference in organizing and lubricating the fascial web. This is very important when we have a client that has had major misalignment and chronic pain for a very long time. Start small and conservative with the fascial fitness movement but over time ( 6 to 24 months) big changes will happen. Love Jen
(You must log in post here.)