Forum / Let's Discuss! / The%20Pilates%20Show!%20%E2%80%93%20Liberate%20the%20Neck:%20Diaphragm%20and%20Scalene%20Balance

This topic contains 3 replies.
By Message
Sally M
On: August 27, 2018 20:28 PM
Could you please elaborate on the exercise using the magic circle, so that I may better understand why we are doing this exercise?How exactly are the scalenes being balanced with the diaphragm? This seems a good exercise if someone has a flat back, but if a person is already kyphotic, would this exercise accentuate that problem? thanks much
Casey H
On: August 28, 2018 10:18 AM
Hi Alesia! Thanks for your question. We don't have much time in the videos so I love the opportunity to elaborate! The Magic Circle is at the level of the Diaphragm. The Diaphragm is one with the scalene muscle as far as the fascia is concerned. If one has a stuck or non optimal glide in the diaphragm the neck, upper back and shoulder girdle will not be happy. The Circle and the breath help to create resistance that will deepen the work of the diaphragm on the inhale and exhale. It is helping to increase the glide and helping the body to create more space. In the video, Kristine looks likes she grows a couple of inches on the exhale. The client this exercise helps the most are those that have a diaphragm that is stuck ( or living) in its top position. In this scenario the scalene will be rigid to say the least. On the inhale with the resistance of the circle, the diaphragm has to work a bit harder and will learn to move a bit more which will slowly start to lengthen what is above ( like the scalenes!). And, yes, this exercise is also great for those with a flat back, forward head postures, side body imbalances and deep system weakness to name a few. I hope this helps. Love, Jen
Sally M
On: August 28, 2018 21:06 PM
This was extremely helpful. Thanks much!
(You must log in post here.)