Forum / Let's Discuss! / Student%20Teaching%20Hours

This topic contains 3 replies.
By Message
susanna H
On: June 12, 2015 14:12 PM
Can you tell me how many observation hours or classes you recommend before a student begins teaching? Thanks!
Jennifer G
On: June 19, 2015 08:14 AM
Hi Jackie! That is a very good question, and the answer very much depends on the student. First and foremost, they need to have completed their hours from the training that they under went. Now based on how module trainings are constructed these days it doesn't give students very much time to play, and experiment with movement principle based teaching which as we all know is vital in real teaching scenarios. That's why Jennifer and myself created the apprenticeship program so that we could teach the deeper lessons that are a necessity for teaching the public. We understood that the days of a student teacher sitting in the corner of the studio for 8 hours were long gone, but we feel driven to still provide excellence in teaching that we feel so passionate about. Many studio owners are having their student teachers do the apprenticeship while prepping to accept clients. Depending on the drive and the time the student has, it can take anywhere from three months to a year to get them ready. When we have an apprentice train at the studio we do A LOT of one on one work with them to catch them up to speed and get them ready. Lots of practice teaching on us, and then on clients for a discounted price. From there they still watch and take classes from us and fully immerse in the studio so they clients get to know them. Every few months we check in on their progress and decide if they are ready to step up to full teaching mode. But we do not rush this process.... it serves no one to put someone on the floor cold. It isn't very successful. I hope this helps! Love, Casey Marie
susanna H
On: June 20, 2015 12:35 PM
Thanks Casey!
(You must log in post here.)