Forum / Let's Discuss! / Striding%20Ahead%20with%20Marie%20Jose

This topic contains 3 replies.
By Message
Charisse H
On: November 14, 2016 08:18 AM
I left this workshop with yet a deeper appreciation for the mechanics of body movement. The techniques MJ shared have proved profound for me, and my clients, as I continue on my never-ending path of honing my skills as a teacher of movement. Many questions came up for me last week as I incorporated some of the work and I wanted to begin with just a few of them. 1. P. 8: would it be plausible to achieve symmetry and movement to the back and sides with the diaphragmatic breath in one shot or is this something I want to revisit until I see (and they feel) sufficient movement? They all seems stuck to me, but I wonder if I'm expecting to see too much movement. 2. P. 16: I tried with several clients with circle vertical and they had some difficulty connecting and I saw some instability with the shoulder blades. Working without the circle first? Would you recommend something prior to prepare for this? More work on short box on forearms, the shorter leaver placing more focus on mid-back awareness and shoulder blade stability? 3. P. 28: When rolling to the ball of the foot, the knee is straight, is that correct? Thereby creating the movement of SI joint and creating the challenge of keeping other foot flat on footplate? Just wanted to confirm that! 4. Prone on table, legs extended, towel/blanket at hip crease, begin with one foot dorsi-flexed, toes light on table, psoas stretch. I did this with a 6'5" client and he felt the work in his shins. Any cues I may have missed to help him get to his inner core musculature? Would more padding at the hip crease help? I guess I'd better stop there--don't want to bombard you too much. Thank you for your time!
Angelo G
On: November 21, 2016 11:08 AM
FROM MJ: Here are the answers . P8 : It should not be hard to see as well as for the teacher to feel the movement of the breath through the movement of the ribs . Focus on asymmetry as well as compensatory default movement of the upper ribs . Also the value is ultimately not the depth of the breath but the length /duration of the breath .The client should also begin to feel the movement of the respiration in the thorax . However this may take some practice .remember ,it is a process ,not an event . P16. You see the shoulder blade move if there is instability and the movement is initiated through the arms instead of the midback spine first. The resistance should be really light . Only rotate as far as there is stability .so no compensation. Here is a helpful cue : visualize the internal organs rotate into the opposite direction . P28 . Yes correct . 4: he is not using the hip extensors first ,cue : using the lower glute to make the knee light . Also you may have to first work on dorsal glide ( manual ) . He may have very ,very limited Doris flexion ,then he will overuse the tibialis ant . Hope this is helpful . With Warmest regards,MJ.
Charisse H
On: December 08, 2016 12:34 PM
[QUOTE="angelo, post: 707, member: 1"]FROM MJ: Here are the answers . P8 : It should not be hard to see as well as for the teacher to feel the movement of the breath through the movement of the ribs . Focus on asymmetry as well as compensatory default movement of the upper ribs . Also the value is ultimately not the depth of the breath but the length /duration of the breath .The client should also begin to feel the movement of the respiration in the thorax . However this may take some practice .remember ,it is a process ,not an event . P16. You see the shoulder blade move if there is instability and the movement is initiated through the arms instead of the midback spine first. The resistance should be really light . Only rotate as far as there is stability .so no compensation. Here is a helpful cue : visualize the internal organs rotate into the opposite direction . P28 . Yes correct . 4: he is not using the hip extensors first ,cue : using the lower glute to make the knee light . Also you may have to first work on dorsal glide ( manual ) . He may have very ,very limited Doris flexion ,then he will overuse the tibialis ant . Hope this is helpful . With Warmest regards,MJ.[/QUOTE] P8: I sometimes sense the impatience of my clients and look/feel for immediate change so I can move them forward. Others are more patient; I know I need to be as well. Thank you for the reminder that it is a process, not an event--a mantra you have been reiterating for years now. P16: The internal organs rotating into the opposite direction was extremely helpful and made sense to my clients. It also helped them decrease their range focusing on the depth of their work rather than their range of movement. I was able to see more stability in the shoulder blades. P4: I will revisit dorsal glide for this client and give the additional cue of the knee light. I think I was focusing more on lightness on the toes. Thank you for your time and support, MJ.
(You must log in post here.)