Forum / Let's Discuss! / Spondylolisthesis

This topic contains 2 replies.
By Message
marijke l
On: December 01, 2017 09:51 AM
So I have a client with a long history of rheumatoid arthritis that has manifested into a gozillion things...medicine induced Lupus, trochanteric bursitis, etc. etc. For the last year and a half, the Pilates work and her own perseverance and determination to get off medicine (which at times she took by IV, VERY intense chemo type medicine for years), she succeeded and has been able to take Advil here and there. Until she started to have a nerve type pain that ran from her lower back down her leg and went to the doc to discover that she has Spondylolisthesis and that her L5 is moved forward a significant amount. The thoughts on how this occurred run from her medicines to her age to a severe car accident and trauma to her back 30 years ago (and apparently no one ever looked (seems odd)). Regardless, she wants to continue with Pilates and the doc suggests it as well. Of course my knees are knocking as I don't want to do anything to harm but to heal. I've been doing research and know to avoid rotations and intense forward flexion (do the roll up to full spine height and then go back down) but would love some insight into how to open her very tight hips without being able to do some of the traditional hip openers (no more 4 posture, etc.) Thank you in advance for any and all tips and suggestions!
Casey H
On: January 02, 2018 17:50 PM
Hi Patrice, It is great to hear from you. This is a challenging client and you will learn so much from her. The best thing for opening her hips in a consistent and balanced way will be release work. This is work she should be doing as homework every day. Both of the Practical Release workshops on our site would give you lots of ideas. Love Jen
(You must log in post here.)