Forum / Let's Discuss! / Sam

This topic contains 3 replies.
By Message

On: July 16, 2016 11:29 AM
I would like to ask Madelaine the difference between " rotating your clavicles" and lifting your collarbones. She refers to this many times in her latest workshop and I don't feel clear how to activate the rotation of the clavicles. I understand that breathing in creates the rotation but I can't feel or see the rotation in myself - and so I can't teach it to my students. It may be that my inhale is insufficient as I have a history of asthma, but nevertheless I still feel I don't understand what she means exactly. Can I get this question to her via you. I don't understand how the forum works. I met Madelaine in a 2-day workshop in London and I know she is happy to answer questions.
Yo
On: July 18, 2016 09:53 AM
Hi Samantha, when you lift your clavicles, it maybe that the ribs are elevating, and thoracic spine extending with it. Clavicles have their own rotation at the SC and AC joints. The move micro like, posteriorly on the inhalation and then anteriorly on the exhalation. Imagine how the pelvis rotates posteriroly and anteriorly to understand the movement direction. Rotating the clavicles is more accurate. People who do not have this micro motion usually have breathing issues or shoulder neck issues. Check out chapter 7 and 8 in my book "Centered" for more details.

On: July 18, 2016 16:39 PM
Thank you for your reply Madeleine. I have your fantastic book and will look at those chapters again. I've felt the clavicles rotate a few times, but it is hard. I'm not extending the thoracic spine but I do think that my inhale is not as efficient as it should be. I will follow your helpful advice and keep working on it. Many thanks.
(You must log in post here.)