Forum / Let's Discuss! / Q%20for%20Erin%20Myers:%20unilaterally%20firing%20the%20multifidus

This topic contains 4 replies.
By Message
Marelize
On: July 20, 2018 15:49 PM
In your workshop, "Analyzing Scoliosis", you had Heather extend her left hip during the prone Lat Pull on the Reformer and during Swan on the Chair. I believe I heard you explain that extending the left hip will help fire the multifidi on the right side. Wouldn't extending the right hip fire the multifidi on the right side? Can you please explain?
Jeanette
On: July 23, 2018 11:08 AM
Hi Terry, Kinetically, when you are prone if you raise your left leg into extension your right multifidus should fire more than your left side. It's a cross-body firing pattern. If you question how it's firing, palpate both lumbar mulitifidus sides and simply let the muscles tell you--they will tell you. I hope this helps. Blessings, Erin Myers
Gemhl Cai
On: May 20, 2021 11:27 AM
Hi Erin, thank you for the course. I have an added question to the following. Does this cross firing pattern only pertain to prone position and not all fours position in the last exercise shown ( where Heather is with a flex band around her thighs)? I noticed you also work both legs to strengthen her glutes. I was confused as to whether I should work the left side more as it fires the right Multifdus. Thanks!
Erin M
On: May 22, 2021 08:22 AM
Your question isn't odd at all, it's actually a great one. Yes, you're right that prone work follows the same cross body firing pattern as all 4's. Sometimes I'm able to strengthen the weaker glute and multifidus at the same time in a prone/all 4's position if they follow the crossbody pattern. If they don't, then I'll strengthen them in a sidling pattern so the same multifidus and glute can get strengthened just on one side. I honestly can't remember off the top of my head which glute needs more help with Heather, but I do remember that one is sleepier. Deciding to do prone/all 4's work versus side lying is a tricky one and totally depends on which glute and multifidus needs more help and how over-fired the other ones are. I'd encourage you to muscle test beforehand to make sure. Blessings, Erin Myers
(You must log in post here.)