Forum / Let's Discuss! / Pilates%20Leadership%20Introspective

This topic contains 21 replies.
By Message
Giovanna C
On: April 04, 2013 08:46 AM
Hi everyone! I imagine all of the Pilates Introspective participants are busy digesting the incredible wealth of info Marie Jose presented. What an amazing weekend! Is there a conversation started yet with questions and insights? I don't see it here but I may not be looking in the right place. I am curious if anyone who took pictures may be open to sharing? I don't have all of the visual cues I would like for some of the work. Generally, I would love to see our group of incredible instructors share their journey as we incorporate what we are learning. Looking forward to June! I have my Correct Toes on as I type (but I wish one of you could take a peek and tell me if you think they are fit correctly!). Enjoy the day! Adeline
Angelo G
On: April 04, 2013 13:41 PM
Hi Adeline- great idea! I'll send an email to participants to let them know this thread has been started...
Amy e
On: April 04, 2013 14:42 PM
Hi! I love the idea of sharing pictures if anyone is willing to do so. Also, I have a specific question about the foot rolling protocol...i wrote down one of the elements and cannot decode what it means. Can anyone figure out what I was trying to convey when i wrote the following? "Center of forefoot: rotate figure 8, move femur in opposite rotation." Also, I made a short video of the foot rolling protocol to share with my sisters. It's not professional, but you do get to meet one of my cats if anyone wants to check it out. Let me know if i'm missing anything. I'd love feedback on this. [url]http://youtu.be/PCGmc0ijpqI[/url] Looking forward to our conversations online and working together again soon! *sarah
Giovanna C
On: April 04, 2013 15:39 PM
Sarah, the foot rolling is as I recall it! I too have a ? About the figure 8. Thanks for posting that video.
Stella
On: April 05, 2013 07:38 AM
Hi to all, Loved the MJ foot rolling video (cat and all! :) Thank you for sharing, Sarah! As I recall the Fig 8, you want to keep the back heel grounded, place the ball just behind the metatarsal heads and in the center, and be able to use the forefoot and metatarsal heads to roll a 'wave - like' motion over the ball, creating a Fig 8 pattern : as you allow the 1st ray to go towards the floor lifting the lateral side foot into eversion, then 'waving' or rolling to the other side , so that the motion brings the medial side of the foot into inversion. This 'rolling' or 'waving' creates a Fig 8 pattern. So, I may use the mantra ' down , up , down', up or 'over , under, over, under'...it's almost like you are 'caressing' the underside of the foot on the ball. And, as I recall, you want to keep the leg fairly quiet, (yes, there will be some movement of the tib/fib and femur, but don't initiate from there) trying to keep the motion at the subtalar joint. Anyway, that's how I remember it.... If anyone else remembers differently, I would appreciate a post to explain your version:) Thanks for starting the conversation, Adeline! Amy

On: April 06, 2013 08:18 AM
Thanks Adeline for starting this thread. I will never look at mine or anyone else's foot the same after this incredible workshop. Sarah, that's a great video and a cool cat, thanks for sharing it. My impression of the figure 8 movement and the relation to the femur moving in opposition was to reinforce how the foot spiral begins the bone rhythms. I will look at the pictures I took and am happy to share any of them with other workshop members. I'm glad we have this forum to help each other remember; together we have a bigger brain :) Be Blessed! Laurel
Angelo G
On: April 06, 2013 14:22 PM
Hi All - I've created a private page for you all to share video, photos - etc... you can submit the files right there and I'll put them up. I'll need to give you access - so let me know if this sounds like a good idea and if you're interested. Here's the link - i've added access for everyone who's already posted here... https://fusionpilatesedu.com/live-courses/leadership-introspective/

On: April 06, 2013 19:27 PM
Also for Who didn't partecipate at this module 1?
Casey H
On: April 06, 2013 21:31 PM
Hi Sarah and Amy, Sarah, I love your video ( you have very beautiful lower legs and feet!!) and Amy I love your explanation of the figure 8 foot roll. I think it is really perfect how you explained it Amy.We are so lucky to have MJ and each other. You guys are incredible. Please keep the questions coming and respond to Angelo about our private page for posting our course videos and audio files!! I can't wait to see you all in June. I am working on a Fascial Fitness pregnancy reformer video that we are filming on april 21st!! I can't wait for you all to see it. Love, Jen
Angelo G
On: April 07, 2013 08:34 AM
Hi Monica - since the materials that participants are sharing are directly from the live course- we're not allowed to make those public. Sorry about that!
Angelo G
On: April 07, 2013 08:44 AM
Please find audio on the foot roll out from Laurel at https://fusionpilatesedu.com/live-courses/leadership-introspective/
Giovanna C
On: April 10, 2013 10:17 AM
Thanks for making the link Angelo. The foot rolling video is by Sarah Honer.
Nancy S
On: April 12, 2013 14:30 PM
I learned so much from you during the workshop! It was encouraging to be a student teacher there. I noticed, in particular, that seasoned teachers are much more aware of subtle positions and movements than I am. Is this something that comes with time? Could I 'train' to do this better? Please let me know your thoughts.

On: April 15, 2013 10:31 AM
[b]Response to Ashley,[/b] Dear Ashley, Remember.." Every moment in the movement"? The client's ability to conscious learn and feel / embody the movement ,this is a process. During the time it takes that the client is learning ,you are as a teacher ,going thru the same process. This process will reveal ,layer by layer what the client really needs in the body. Your knowledge of repertoire serves as the solid foundation and the critical thinking is then nurtured by your direction of Continuing education. Your everyday clients create this path as "the teacher in disguise". Attention to detail,growing knowledge and confidence will pave the road to " expert eye".it only takes time and passion for what you do. Warmly,Marie-Jose.
Amy e
On: April 22, 2013 23:45 PM
Yay! I'm so happy this thread is growing. Angelo, the "secret" page for us to post our media is really appreciated. I see that Laurel shared audio from the foot rolling (!!!) and I will be checking that out. Amy, thanks for the explanation of the figure 8; I have it now after reading your description. Adeline and I have had a couple of meetups where we discuss our notes and dissect information (remember how long she and i ruminated on really GETTING the bone rhythms? She and I could discuss this stuff into infinity!), and we have generated a few questions. We have been trying to feel, visualize, and understand how the bone rhythms play out during gait -- what is spiraling where and when. It is somewhat maddening to try to describe since the state of walking is in constant flux. But today we really felt how the stepping foot's talus is operating in a spirallic opposition (right? or not?) to the sacrum...and I had an "ah-ha" moment where i could sense the wholeness of the figure-8 action of the pelvis/femur heads/sacrum during gait. New question. Or 2. 1. Optimal standing balance: Our 3 weight-bearing points are base of the 5th metatarsal head/cuboid, 1st metatarsal head, and 5th metatarsal head. Since the cuboid is the keystone of the lateral arch and since *not* bearing weight is an attribute of a keystone, are we more energetically sending weight through this cuboid point in our optimal pyramid/triangle in standing? 2. Standing with the femur head over the talus: I have a question about shifting weight forward on the feet in order to get 2/3 of the weight on the forefoot. (I had a half-baked question about this during the workshop, but I think the cake is ready to come out of the oven now...) When i shift my body slightly forward, i lose the femur over the talus. My femur lines up forward of my cuneiform bones toward the metatarsals. However, if i keep my pelvis back over my heels/talus, I can activate weight into my 1st and 5th metatarsal heads much like pushing gently on a car's accelerator. I can check my "alignment for dummies," (love it) at this point to see my sternal notch over my pubic bone. But I removed the shift forward. I demoed this to Adeline today using a yo-yo as a plumb line. I can post a video of the difference if this written version is unclear. This is something I really want to address if anyone else is interested. Looking forward to being in a room with all of you fantastic people again! *sarah
Angelo G
On: April 23, 2013 20:49 PM
Hi All, I forwarded your ?'s to MJ Sarah. Also - wanted to let you know that MJ's online course is up and running. Info at: https://fusionpilatesedu.com/store/workshops/sling-system/
Angelo G
On: April 30, 2013 10:29 AM
Hi - Sarah just brought this to our attention. The October Module is during Moogfest - so definately get your hotel reservations done asap!!! Thanks Sarah!
Casey H
On: June 07, 2013 12:34 PM
do you guys prefer the threads to be listed newest to oldest, or oldest to newest? right now - it's newest to oldest. let us know!
Stella
On: June 18, 2013 20:35 PM
Hi Jen, I vote newest to oldest - just as is... Thanks for asking! And, see ya'll real soon! Amy
Charisse H
On: November 04, 2013 14:27 PM
Thank you, Jen, for hosting Marie Jose and Pilates Leadership Introspective. As is usual with any course I've attended of MJ's, she exceeded any expectations I could have had. I also appreciated the veterans of PLI Modules I & II warmly welcoming me into the group as I crashed Module III. I have a question for MJ about breathing. I noticed everyone exhaling from a relaxed mouth and was wondering if you prefer that now to exhaling from the nose or if that's just another option. Thank you for an exceptional weekend.

On: November 18, 2013 18:50 PM
Hi Lisa - Breathing with the lips softly closed ,takes longer and uses a longer inner breathing path. It tends to keep the glottis more open to get into the lower lung lobes. This deserves attention and increases focus. I promote this with beginners specifically as they need all of the above mentioned. This also keeps the tensions out of the neck region. Lips softly pursed is the norm after, I prefer no forced pattern with loud noise. This promotes bracing. Hope this helps and answers your question. Warmly,Marie-Jose.
(You must log in post here.)