Forum / Let's Discuss! / Fascial%20Fit%20Workshop

This topic contains 6 replies.
By Message
Charisse H
On: March 16, 2016 17:04 PM
Hi Jen, After months of testing the waters of fascial release with balls, the SmartSpine and several fascial fit movements you presented on your website, it was good to get some fine-tuning in at the workshop on Saturday. You presented it beautifully, it was information packed as well as energizing. I left your studio feeling utterly amazing and also like I'd done some serious work! Thank you for offering this workshop. The opportunity gave me even more incentive to continue with the fascial release work for my benefit as well as my clients'. I've taught some of the movements we learned and wanted to clarify a few things with you, if I could I had great feedback from the clients who were up for delving into it. FROG JUMPS WITH ARMS: With the hands on the wall, you said work with the finger pads. Is this fully on the finger pads or is it more like a suction cup with the heels of the hands on the wall or are both versions an option? STRETCHING THE SPIRAL LONG CHAIN TISSUE LINES: Does the pelvis stay in 9-3 position while stretching the internal obliques as top leg reaches long behind the pelvis? Is the torso rotated towards the floor or kept in line? STRETCHING THE LATERAL LONG CHAIN TISSUES LINES: Pelvis should stay square while stretching the lateral long chain tissue lines even into the rotated positions? TIMING: 2-3 times each side or reaching into the work for 1 1/2 minutes or 20-30 times per position (hops, arm/leg swings, wall presses)? Do those sound about right to work up to? I know I would also play it by ear by client ability. FASCIAL FIT HOME SESSION: Would you recommend about an hour? Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm. I just love it. Lisa
Casey H
On: March 17, 2016 11:11 AM
Hi Lisa, It is so good to hear from you!! The workshop was a blast. I love all of your questions. Here we go: For the Frog Jumping Arms at the wall it is very important to establish a grounding energy before just taking off into the Jumps. We spent a lot of time sensing how our palms and fingerpads reach into the wall and how that translates into the " just right" amount of work that we do in our upper body. This awareness is very important as one starts to Arm Jump. The idea is to meet the wall and not to collapse into the wall. During the wall jumps one will land on the finger pads and roll to the heel of the hand. When one starts to jump away it is heel of the hand and then the finger pads/ tips of the fingers that leave the wall last. The Spiral Line Stretch on the floor: The pelvis will tilt a bit but you want it to counter the ribs/torso moving towards the floor as much as possible. Having the long leg behind you helps to encourage the pelvis to fall back. You want the face, chest and top armpit to shine towards the floor. With this contrast there should be a sense that you are pulling at the fabric on your back/side of your top ribcage and pelvis. It should feel yummy. If not build the floor up with blankets and pillows. The Lateral Tissue Line: Yes, the pelvis should stay as square to the front as possible. This should remain as you rotate the face/chest down and up. Timing: For the Slow Dynamic stretches you could do 2 to 3 times on each side. One could hold each part of the stretch for 10 to 15 seconds at the most ( for instance , in the lateral line stretch when you rotate the head chest down). For the oscillating movement ( hopping, wall bounces) you could do a very short amount of time at first ( to get use to the feeling and coordination) but ask them to do everyday. After their body gets use to it and they can create effortless movement then they can do the movement 2 or 3 minutes at a time. Eventually this can increase. You would treat the Fast dynamic stretch sequences in the same manner. At first very slow and methodical ( making sure they know the components of the fast dynamic stretch and the Why behind it) and then you can increase the time spent and the rate because they have a sense of effortlessness inside the movement. Fascial Fit Home Session: One can stay more than healthy in their fascial web by just 10 to 15 min ( 2 to 3 times a week) of targeted Fascial work. Remind your folks that they should still keep up cardiovascular, strength and coordination work. Keep the questions coming! Love Jen
Charisse H
On: March 17, 2016 20:54 PM
Thanks, Jen! Your responses helped me tremendously. Yes, I will make sure to have them take their time getting acquainted with the wall. I appreciate the reminder of the time we spent on it. I've introduced a bit of Ninja wall work with them previously, after digesting one of your Pilates Show videos, so at least the idea is not completely foreign to them. Of course we would roll through our hands just like we roll through our foot--great visual. I'll make a point to have them focus their attention on that more. The Spiral Line Stretch on the floor makes more sense to me now. I see by your explanation that we truly are taking the spine into a spiral, thus the name! I also understand it would not necessarily feel yummy to someone who is spiraling in the other direction so the extra floor support would be essential. Thanks for the confirmation on neutral for the Lateral Tissue Lines. Of course, that would make sense for the most efficient stretch of the fascial tissues. I feel it, too! The timing of each was a little foggy to me. Thanks for helping to clarify that with your thorough suggestions for the stretches and movements. 10-15 minutes of this work a few times a week sounds doable and I don't think I'll have a problem selling it. I'm a believer how crucial it is for all of us! The following was a question I had today from my very fit 76 year-old. I said we had to, "move the swamp water out of there," and she asked, "where is it going?!" I would guess that it recirculates and gets fresh again. Is that true?! Thanks, again, for your clarifications and support! Warmly, Lisa
Casey H
On: April 04, 2016 11:41 AM
Hi Lisa, Sorry it has taken me a bit! Just back from Spring Break at Amelia Island. Refreshed by the Sand and Surf. I am so happy that you are able to use all of this with your clients. They sound like an amazing bunch! And I love your client's question. Brilliant. Yes, you are correct. It gets recirculated. The problem with these "swampy" areas of the body is Stagnation. Healthy, vibrant areas of our body have constant fluid exchange. This is our goal. I wish you lived a little closer. This wed night from 530 until 730 I am teaching a client workshop on Post Natal Ab Wall Synchronization Part 1. I am traveling to Canada in May to work with Diane Lee again and will come home with lots more then too. You will love all of this info. Love and Miss you, Jen
Charisse H
On: May 04, 2016 16:14 PM
Hi Jen! I'm glad to know that you do take some time away from the studio on occasion to rejuvenate! Thank you for your confirmation of where this fluid goes. My client was appreciative to know and I've been able to share with the others as well. The constant fluid exchange is a challenge as some of my clients would like it to be immediate (and for it to do it on its own) while others are willing to do the work at home. I do keep encouraging and believe they will get hooked on it at some point in the future because they will feel so good. You would think I moved into your studio if I lived closer I would be there so often! Hahaha. All of your workshops sound so amazing it's hard sometimes to choose which to work into my schedule. I assure you that everything I do attend, either online or in person, has been beneficial. I did have a client come in this week complaining of a muscle spasm at her medial shoulder blade. I had been working with her on back fascial release work for several weeks (she comes once a week and confesses that she doesn't do anything at home). The day before she strained it (stretching in the middle of the night in bed) we had done some release work on her gluteals with the Great Dane ball. I had her in crab position and wondered if that could be the culprit? Maybe I had her spend too much time in that position? She tends to be tense in her upper body, neck and shoulders, although she said she felt fine while she was doing it. She came in yesterday and had pain lying supine or prone. She felt most comfortable doing sitting or standing work and the less she focused on it and the more she focused on breathing and the small, focused work, the more it relaxed. I encouraged rest, warmth and easy fascial release work when it feels better. Any other thoughts or advice? With love and gratitude, Lisa
Charisse H
On: May 08, 2016 20:52 PM
I have since found out that my client had been doing some release work on the ball at that strained area trying to work it out. I encouraged her to stop. I've also reviewed some of the release posts and it sounds to me like she deeply aggravated it rather than her attempt to release it. I've discovered that my clients are insistent on releasing a trigger point rather than allowing it to release and I question whether they are sticking to the "no longer than 90 seconds" rule. I will reiterate with all of them. Thank you for your time!
(You must log in post here.)