Forum / Let's Discuss! / Boring%20Classes!

This topic contains 2 replies.
By Message

On: October 09, 2012 09:11 AM
I feel like I keep teaching the same class over and over again - what can I do to spice up my mat classes without going into the advanced repertoire?
Jennifer G
On: October 20, 2012 09:51 AM
It can be easy to get stuck in a rut when teaching, and keeping an engaging and challenging practice is essential to becoming an effective teacher. First and foremost, be inspired. This website for instance is a great place to find new and exciting ideas about how to interpret the work in different ways while still building skills for your more beginner clients. Take continuing education courses with creative riffs on the classical exercises. Go to classes from other teachers to see their take on the work, and start looking at your classes and clients from different angles. Another quick way to spice up a class is with small props. Teach a whole class using a small Overball, or see how you can incorporate a Theraband or a big exercise ball into the mix. There are so many books and DVDs out there that can help guide you in finding fun movement variations. There are so many avenues to investigate in this work. And by being a part of this community you have so many options at your fingertips. The mat apprentice program is a wonderful way to really dive into the work and see beyond the rote choreography of Pilates. And always look out for our blog posts and videos to see what we are chewing on these days. Thank you so much for this question, and bravo on wanting to learn more! As always, keep the questions coming. We look forward to them!
(You must log in post here.)