Forum / Let's Discuss! / Unraveling%20Scoliosis%20with%20Kuan%20Hui%20Chew

This topic contains 13 replies.
By Message
Stella
On: January 04, 2018 07:04 AM
Hello, The Unraveling Scoliosis Workshop sounds intriguing and I had a few questions. Is this workshop appropriate for those clients with osteoporosis and scoliosis? Does this workshop discuss the Schroth method? Is the vestibular, visual and proprioception systems and their relationship to scoliosis mentioned in this workshop? Thank you.

On: January 04, 2018 09:34 AM
Hi, I would say at least 85 percent of the materials are appropriate for clients with osteoporosis and scoliosis. Schroth method is not mentioned in the workshop. Even though Vestibular, visual and proprioception is not a main focus of the workshop, but it is touched upon, Session 10 is dedication to this topic. Hope this is helpful.
paulomoreira007
On: January 04, 2018 20:18 PM
Hi, My question is about a student who has a right thoracic scoliotic curve and a right forward shoulder. Also a small left lumbar curve with a hiked left hip and the left leg presents longer. If I release and lower left hip, wont it create a longer leg than it presently is? Thank you.
Stella
On: January 04, 2018 22:15 PM
[QUOTE="Amy600, post: 769, member: 608"]Hello, The Unraveling Scoliosis Workshop sounds intriguing and I had a few questions. Is this workshop appropriate for those clients with osteoporosis and scoliosis? Does this workshop discuss the Schroth method? Is the vestibular, visual and proprioception systems and their relationship to scoliosis mentioned in this workshop? Thank you.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE="Kuan331, post: 770, member: 6440"]Hi, I would say at least 85 percent of the materials are appropriate for clients with osteoporosis and scoliosis. Schroth method is not mentioned in the workshop. Even though Vestibular, visual and proprioception is not a main focus of the workshop, but it is touched upon, Session 10 is dedication to this topic. Hope this is helpful.[/QUOTE] Yes. Thank you.

On: January 05, 2018 14:54 PM
[QUOTE="Judy Jutcovich, post: 771, member: 8812"]Hi, My question is about a student who has a right thoracic scoliotic curve and a right forward shoulder. Also a small left lumbar curve with a hiked left hip and the left leg presents longer. If I release and lower left hip, wont it create a longer leg than it presently is? Thank you.[/QUOTE] Hi, Generally speaking, when there is a left lumbar curve/with the apex to the left, the structures on the left are locked long and tends to be more developed, the structures on the right are more compressed and are under delveloped, hence we need to lengthened and strengthened the right side. However, it is common to have a left compression around L4/L5, L5/S1 when there is a left lumbar curve, in such cases, you can focus on lengthening the anterior structures such as the psoas and Iliacus, and strengthen the lower gluts and upper hamstrings, particularly the medial hamstrings.

On: February 26, 2018 17:37 PM
Hi, I have been working with a couple of clients with scoliosis and found this workshop very helpful and very well done. It reinforced what I was doing and previous training. It also gave me a lot of new information and exercises to try! It energized my work with my clients. Thank you so much!

On: February 27, 2018 19:09 PM
Very happy to hear you find this workshop helpful, thank you for writing.
Linda
On: March 09, 2018 11:36 AM
HI,EXTREMELY INFORMATIVE WORKSHOP.IT SHOWS YOUR DEEP KNOWLEDGE AND INTEREST OF THE SUBJECT.I WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE MAINTAINENCE EXERCISES YOU WOULD PREFER THE PATIENT TO CONTINUE FURTHER TO REMAIN MORE CENTRALISE.AND ALSO ANY A LRTERNATIVE FOR SCOOTER OR REFORMER.CAN WE USE AN ARC ? THANKS AND REGARDS

On: March 10, 2018 20:08 PM
Depending on the client’s curvatures, you can pick a few mat exercises that target the client’s strongest scoliotic tendency/primary curve. Always start with rolling (with a ball or a roller) or stretching the short and weak muscles, then strengthen the weak muscles, this sequence is important. You might also want to look at how they walk, how they stand, how they seat in a chair, and how they get in and out of a chair, these repetitive motions have big effects on the body. Make sure they walk, seat and stand in a relatively symmetrical way, that will help remind them to remain ‘centered’ throughout the day. A good alternative to Scooter is to do deep lunges. If you have access to a Bosu or any prop that challenges balance, place the front foot on the top of the Bosu or a prop, take a wide stance for deep lunges. Make sure the body is well aligned throughout the exercise, particularly the pelvis. This is a great way to improve strength, flexibility and proprioception all at the same time.
Terry P
On: May 07, 2022 05:15 AM
I just finished the Unraveling Scoliosis Workshop and enjoyed the exercises you presented. However, I got confused during some of the exercise demonstrations. I thought you said that Andrew (the "client") has a right thoracic curve and a left lumbar curve. As I understand it, that means the concavities will be in the left thoracic and right lumbar. However, Andrew seems to reverse his curves for a couple of exercises. For Thoracic Rotation I - Seated you instruct, "Place the hand on the concave side on the upper back..." and, as I would expect, Andrew places his left hand on his upper back. For Thoracic Rotation II - all fours, you instruct to "place the hand, of the convex side on the mat in the middle in-line with the sternum. Place the hand, of the concave side on the upper back..." However, Andrew places his left hand on the mat in line with the sternum. For Scooter you instruct, "Place the hand on the upper back on the concave side." But Andrew places his right hand on his upper back. Can you please tell me if I am misunderstanding the curves? Thank you.
Terry P
On: May 07, 2022 05:15 AM
I just finished the Unraveling Scoliosis Workshop and enjoyed the exercises you presented. However, I got confused during some of the exercise demonstrations. I thought you said that Andrew (the "client") has a right thoracic curve and a left lumbar curve. As I understand it, that means the concavities will be in the left thoracic and right lumbar. However, Andrew seems to reverse his curves for a couple of exercises. For Thoracic Rotation I - Seated you instruct, "Place the hand on the concave side on the upper back..." and, as I would expect, Andrew places his left hand on his upper back. For Thoracic Rotation II - all fours, you instruct to "place the hand, of the convex side on the mat in the middle in-line with the sternum. Place the hand, of the concave side on the upper back..." However, Andrew places his left hand on the mat in line with the sternum. For Scooter you instruct, "Place the hand on the upper back on the concave side." But Andrew places his right hand on his upper back. Can you please tell me if I am misunderstanding the curves? Thank you.
Kuan Hui C
On: May 08, 2022 12:54 PM
Hi Terry, Thank you so much for your question. You understood the curves perfectly. Yes, Andrew does have a right upper thoracic curve and a left thoracolumbar curve. For Thoracic Rotation I - Seated, we were targeting the right upper thoracic curve. For Thoracic Rotation II - all-fours, we were targeting the left thoracolumbar curve. It is a good idea to do the exercises on both sides when a person has a double curve in the thoracic spine, which Andrew has. As for Scooter, we were targeting the left thoracolumbar curve, by lengthening the right Psoas, hence he had the right arm up and rotating to the right to unwind the right upper Psoas. I hope this clarifies your question.
Kuan Hui C
On: May 08, 2022 12:54 PM
Hi Terry, Thank you so much for your question. You understood the curves perfectly. Yes, Andrew does have a right upper thoracic curve and a left thoracolumbar curve. For Thoracic Rotation I - Seated, we were targeting the right upper thoracic curve. For Thoracic Rotation II - all-fours, we were targeting the left thoracolumbar curve. It is a good idea to do the exercises on both sides when a person has a double curve in the thoracic spine, which Andrew has. As for Scooter, we were targeting the left thoracolumbar curve, by lengthening the right Psoas, hence he had the right arm up and rotating to the right to unwind the right upper Psoas. I hope this clarifies your question.
(You must log in post here.)