Forum / Let's Discuss! / Sport%20Specific%20question

This topic contains 6 replies.
By Message
Stacy Celi
On: March 27, 2015 18:26 PM
What would be a good Pilates sequence for an ice skater? Any tips? Also the best exercises to improve low back flexibility. Thanks
Casey H
On: March 28, 2015 13:32 PM
Hi Jodie, It is great to hear from you. Competitive and professional athletes are challenging to work with. They are use to doing some incredible feats with their bodies that over time don't equate to health and longevity. For these clients it is imperative that they are doing some very smart cross training. This ( in my book) means movements that are the opposite of their sport and very precise, small, subtle activations and articulations. Skaters have the particular challenge of having their feet bound and having to balance and support their whole structure on a thin blade while moving in wild trajectories at incredible speeds . So you have your work cut out for you. I have trained skaters before and I go to the feet first thing. This is where you need to focus an incredible amount of attention both in release, coordination and strengthening work. And then connecting the intrinsic foot work into the leg and pelvis. My second focus would be to concentrate on the femur finding a number of different positions and transitioning from one position into another smoothly and fluidly. A closed chain environment at first with this work would be best. Next I would work on disassociation skills between femur and pelvis. Also exploring the intrinsic joints in the pelvis. These explorations will start to naturally talk to the lumbar spine ( for example up slip/ down slip of the pelvis and scissoring of the pelvic halves) Just this small work can start to create a responsiveness and suppleness in the lower back. To continue to open a rigid lumbar spine explore side bending and rotation of the whole spine. This will bring you naturally to the next big focal point,the upper body. Start to explore mobility of the ribcage right away ( shift and circling) . If the feet are rigid ( and they will be) the diaphragm, ribcage, shoulder blades, collar bone , neck and head will need some smart subtle work. You might want to look at some of Eric Franklin's work. His books are genius. You might want to also check out the Footplates that Jean-Claude West created and that are sold by Balanced Body. This work can be used with all your high level athletes, dancers and desk workers. It is worth purchasing a pair. Please let us know how you progress with your skater. Love Jen
Jennifer G
On: March 28, 2015 20:01 PM
Hi ladies! I was just reading over this and I think Elizabeth Larkam's new rotation workshop would be incredibly beneficial for your ice skater. I have been using the protocol for my athletes and the results have been fantastic. Cheers! Casey Marie
Casey H
On: March 28, 2015 20:13 PM
Good call Casey! Love Jen
Stacy Celi
On: March 30, 2015 12:10 PM
Thanks Jen for responding.
Stacy Celi
On: March 30, 2015 12:11 PM
Hi Casey, I will look into it thanks.
(You must log in post here.)