Forum / Let's Discuss! / Spinal%20fusion%20without%20hardware%20

This topic contains 2 replies.
By Message
Jessica A
On: March 02, 2019 05:00 AM
In the spinal fusion workshop it seems like the clients being discussed all had rods and hardware to correct and or support their spines. I have a client who had her hardware removed but is still fused. Her doctor told her after that surgery that she doesn’t have limitations and is stronger than the average person. I can tell she would really like to move more in her sessions but my understanding is that she still should avoid flexion, extension, side bending and rotation because we don’t want to harm her fusion or encourage the non fused vertebrae to compensate. Am I on the right track or does the fact that her hardware has been removed change the scenario?
Erin M
On: March 25, 2019 07:25 AM
Hi Jessica, Good question. While I understand that her doctor told her that she has no movement restrictions, I would still adhere to the fusion rules. I personally wouldn't want to risk fracturing her spine. When hardware is removed by a doctor, most of them check to see by a scan to confirm that the spine has actually been fully fused, and therefore the hardware is no longer needed to immobilize the spine. If this is in fact the case for this client, the entire length of the fusion is actually one bone--it's acting like one big vertebra. If you client is adamant about moving her spine, I'd want a the report from a scan proving that her spine is actually not fully fused. I hope that helps and thanks for the good question. Blessings, Erin Myers
(You must log in post here.)