Forum / Let's Discuss! / Rheumatoid%20Arthritis%20and%20how%20it%20affects%20wrist%20joint%20mobility

This topic contains 4 replies.
By Message
Stephanie A
On: April 02, 2018 09:44 AM
Hi everyone! Have a client I have been working with . She has had RA since 14 years of age. She was a cheerleader as well with a few falls during her high school years. I have a hard time trying to get her to do any exercises that include hand weightbearing; I always transition to forearm. Can I specifically work her wrist in ways that can improve the her ability to use her entire palm for support? Or am I working with excessive restriction from scar tissue and under use of flexibility in the wrist? Any other suggestions or thoughts?
Ivy P
On: August 10, 2019 09:38 AM
Hi Christina, I have a RA client,too. So I understand your struggle. I started from mat exercises with my RA client. After her joints are in better range of motion, I move to Corealign for some light weight bearing exercises such as mermaid,etc.so that she still had control on how much weight she could place on her palm. Then I move to tower with hand push out through the bar with heavier springs than Corealign. Finally, I move her to reformer. Now, she can do reverse plank on mat. But it took us more than a year with twice a week private sessions. Hope this helps.
Jennifer G
On: August 20, 2019 04:18 AM
Hi Ivy and Christine, RA clients are challenging and it does take careful, progressive layering of the work for a good amount of time to progress them Be patient. Ivy, I love how you have worked with your client. It is also worth considering small changes like using a grip hold around handles and straps to start to create forearm, wrist, hand strength in exercises like reformer arm work. One needs to build the mobility and strength in the area and then begin to do very small amounts of weight bearing with as much modification as possible. Make sure they understand how their center and mid back engagement can help to decompress the wrist when weight bearing. Exercises like The Push through on the Cadillac are also important for building communication in the area because the client has to reach back into the bar and spring as it reaches into them. Love Jen
Jennifer G
On: August 20, 2019 04:18 AM
Hi Ivy and Christine, RA clients are challenging and it does take careful, progressive layering of the work for a good amount of time to progress them Be patient. Ivy, I love how you have worked with your client. It is also worth considering small changes like using a grip hold around handles and straps to start to create forearm, wrist, hand strength in exercises like reformer arm work. One needs to build the mobility and strength in the area and then begin to do very small amounts of weight bearing with as much modification as possible. Make sure they understand how their center and mid back engagement can help to decompress the wrist when weight bearing. Exercises like The Push through on the Cadillac are also important for building communication in the area because the client has to reach back into the bar and spring as it reaches into them. Love Jen
(You must log in post here.)