Forum / Let's Discuss! / Pelvic Floor Nerve Damange

This topic contains 6 replies.
By Message
On: February 27, 2015 04:43 AM
Hi there, I have a client who has been informed that she has damaged the nerve tissue on the left side of her pelvic floor. She has 4 difficult births and forceps were used which caused the damage. She has been informed that this will not change, nothing can be done about it. She can naturally do her Pelvic floor work and this will strengthen the right side. Has anyone ever had any experience with working with someone with the same issue? I would really appreciate your feedback. Thank you, Thérese
On: February 27, 2015 13:15 PM
Hi Therese, Thanks for this question. This is important for everyone in our community to be aware of. I am very lucky to be connected to some brilliant Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist in my town of Asheville, NC. They are so compassionate and knowledgeable. I forwarded this question my friend Rachel and this is her response. Really great advice. And to work in concert with these health care providers is a god sent for us as Pilates instructors and for our clients. I hope this post prompts us all to connect and work more with health care providers whenever possible. Love, Jen ( below is from the beautiful Rachel) I would highly advise your client to see a pelvic floor physical therapist if she has not gone that route. Pelvic floor PTs are amazing with the techniques and expertise they bring to these challenging cases. Your client may have nerve damage, but a pelvic PT has the ability to work with the client with various types of neurofeedback techniques, both internally and externally with the pelvic floor musculature to aid the patient in regaining function of that side. The great thing about working with a pelvic PT is that you and the PT can work together to really help this client achieve the level of strength and function that she desires. The link below takes you to the American Physical Therapy Association's section on Women's Health where you can search for a pelvic PT in your area. You can search for a PT who treats your clients' various symptoms. The highest level of pelvic floor training is a therapist who is designated a WCS (Women's Health Clinical Specialist).
On: February 28, 2015 03:27 AM
Hi Jen and Rachel. I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions, I will check into this more with a Pevic PT in my area and advise client. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your opinion. Thérese
On: March 13, 2015 05:00 AM
here's that link -
On: March 16, 2015 03:26 AM
Thank you for the link, unfortunately I am based in Ireland but I can check it out here. Thank for the information. Thérese :)
On: March 16, 2015 04:40 AM
Hi Therese, Hope you are well. Wanted to let you know that I just got word that I will be teaching a workshop on Diastasis Recti and Fascial Tensioning at the PMA in Denver this Nov. This goes hand in hand with all the other dysfunctions that we see after delivery. If you are attending I would love to meet you. Jen
(You must log in post here.)