Forum / Let's Discuss! / No%20time%20for%20my%20own%20Pilates!

This topic contains 4 replies.
By Message

On: June 29, 2013 08:50 AM
I've been working as a Pilates teacher for about a year now - so I'm fairly new. I realize that after starting work that I am moving less and less myself. Any suggestions on how to keep up my practice while keeping up a busy schedule with clients?
Rachel R
On: June 30, 2013 02:15 AM
You just have to do it! And take time out between clients, 1/2 or so, to refresh, stretch, get on the equipment and rejuvenate. You will be a better teacher for it!
Casey H
On: July 01, 2013 08:17 AM
Hi Maricela, This is a great question. I am constantly balancing this aspect of my life/work and I have been teaching for 20 yrs. It is really important for us to carve out a bit of time each day to move. It doesn't have to be an hour but focused , attention building movement is a must. We as teachers must always be curious about the subtleties of how our bodies work and organize. This curiosity transfers to our clients bodies and we create very exciting sessions for ourselves and students. Like a professional musician we must always practice and tune our instrument not only for our well being but for the quality of our art and trade. You will not be an effective teacher if you do not explore your own body. And this is daily practice. When you think of it in those terms it is easier to make some sacred movement time each day just you and your body. Since you are a beginning teacher it is even more important and urgent that you demand this time for yourself. Let us know how it all goes. Love, Jen
Margaret
On: July 29, 2013 23:38 PM
I try to apply movement principles to the things I do around the studio (i.e. changing springs, picking up boxes, cleaning mats, moving equipment, etc.) It sets a good example to clients regarding functional movement and is toning, shaping & balancing my body as well. It's also great for my clients to see me on a mat enjoying roll-ups or roll like a ball when I need it. And teaches them how to do the same!
(You must log in post here.)