Forum / Let's Discuss! / Mat%202--%20Charlotte%20March%20Weekend

This topic contains 21 replies.
By Message

On: April 04, 2016 09:04 AM
Hi everyone! I thought I would start a thread for the people that attended the Mat 2 in Charlotte in March. I know we discussed starting a forum with all of us so we could keep in contact and ask questions and Angelo said this is the way to do it! So just respond to the thread and I think it will work!
Theresa J
On: April 04, 2016 09:29 AM
Mat 2 was awesome! Love the bunny tail idea for neutral pelvis.

On: April 04, 2016 09:31 AM
When is everyone doing their Mat test out?
Barb
On: April 04, 2016 11:06 AM
Hi Taylor! Thanks so much for getting this started!
Barb
On: April 04, 2016 11:08 AM
I'm not sure when I will test out. I am heading back up to Charlotte on 4/16 to take the Anatomy in Clay course. Then will start Reformer here on Hilton Head in early May. If anyone is planning on coming for that, let me know. :)
marijke l
On: April 04, 2016 11:50 AM
Hey Guys! Thanks for getting this started Taylor! I've been observing and training and this week I am working with my first paid (Apprenticeship rates) client and am psyched! :) I initially thought I would be testing out in early summer but want to fully grasp everything before I do so I'm pushing that timing back more toward late summer/early Autumn. I am traveling a lot as well so it's hard to get everything together. How about you?
Jennifer G
On: April 06, 2016 07:57 AM
Good morning! I am so happy you all have a place to catch up with each other here on the forum... And I am even more excited that you all are diving right into teaching! It's the only way to go! Be sure to ask questions... I will be awaiting them, and I am so proud how all of you are taking to the work! Much Love, Casey Marie
Barb
On: April 10, 2016 15:19 PM
I had a client this week who is a Stott trained instructor. She loved the cueing and focus of the Neutral Pelvis/Spine work we did---especially the clocking in various positions with the use of the Overball. Every so often I would cue something and she would say "Wow!!" She also really loved the work with the ball under the sternum (in preparation for Swan). One thing she mentioned to me after class was that (now in her 60s), she has lost a lot of her mobility in her spine---that she has seen such a change (not in a positive way) in her mat work recently. I said that working with the Overball and propping should definitely help with that. She plans on coming back to more of my classes. :) Any suggestions?
Barb
On: April 15, 2016 07:41 AM
In my apprentice work, this week I am focusing on the section about strength and mobility of the spine. The bridging in this segment (especially the rolling bridge) would be quite helpful for this individual, don't you think? This whole segment really speaks to the issue presented to me by this woman. Great timing! :)
marijke l
On: April 15, 2016 14:42 PM
Hey Caitlin, I think the bridges, cat and cow and really delineating each vertebrae, rolling like a ball to massage, and the slow roll ups off the over ball are all great for reacquainting an older client with his/her spine.
Barb
On: April 15, 2016 14:57 PM
Yes, I agree, Patrice! Thanks!!
Casey H
On: April 15, 2016 15:00 PM
Hi Caitlian, I am so glad you are enjoying and benefitting so much from the live trainings and the Fusion Apprentice Online work. It sounds like you are discovering some great things. Our Online apprentice really ties things together and makes the work more teachable to many types of bodies. I will see you at Anatomy in Clay in Charlotte tomorrow. Let's talk about this segment in person when I see you. Love Jen
Barb
On: April 15, 2016 15:03 PM
Looking forward to it, Jennifer! :)
Jennifer G
On: April 18, 2016 09:29 AM
I agree with the bridging and cat and cow work for sure! But the roll up and rolling like a ball are best applied when the client already has established fabulous articulation, and you want to further challenge it. Also beware of rolling like a ball for older folks with osteoporosis as its contraindicated. Keep on having fun with the work ladies! In Health, Casey Marie
marijke l
On: April 19, 2016 17:41 PM
[b]Breath article on Facebook today...[/b] The article on breathing that was posted today on Facebook, I am trying to recreate the following (without blowing up a balloon). "As they blow up the balloons, each player tilts his pelvis up and keeps his ribs down, sealing the canister. He also reaches forward with his right arm to rotate his torso left and open his lungs. The result? “The diaphragm comes online,” says Rampe. “It’s like hitting the reset button, structurally realigning the body.” I think I'm doing it correctly (though tilting the pelvis up seems opposite of what we were taught) but could you post a short video of you practicing this breath? That would help a great deal. Thanks!
Casey H
On: May 08, 2016 23:13 PM
Hi Patrice, Hope you are well. Yes, he is stereotyping and he is pretty much on the mark but there could be very drastic differences person to person. The article and exercise you cited are for those who over extend, the chest and pelvis are going in opposite directions, they weight bear on the right and they are "slumped" and shifted in to the left. Basically their body is always rotated to the right. This is what he is trying to correct. I think this could fit a lot of people but certainly not everyone. Does it make more sense now? With his population it would be important to emphasize a slight tilt of the pelvis up to bring it to a neutral position. Let me know if you have any more questions. Love Jen
Barb
On: May 09, 2016 10:14 AM
Am working on Scapular Stability/Mobility segment of Mat Apprentice Program right now. For my practice teaching, is it okay to use stability balls if I don't have access to stools at my studio?
Barb
On: May 10, 2016 10:46 AM
Answered my own question. ;) Yes, you can use stability balls.
marijke l
On: May 11, 2016 11:54 AM
Thanks for your reply!
Jennifer G
On: May 11, 2016 17:43 PM
As you found out you can absolutely use stability balls... An excellent balance and stability challenge to boot! So fun working with you this past weekend! Much love, Casey Marie
Barb
On: May 13, 2016 08:09 AM
Exactly!! Thanks!! Loved this past weekend!
(You must log in post here.)