Forum / Let's Discuss! / Lesley%20Powell%20Posterior%20Lateral%20Hip%20Video

This topic contains 5 replies.
By Message
Stella
On: December 08, 2013 13:54 PM
Hi Lesley, Your video exceeded my expectations. Thank you! I have a few questions I am hoping you could address: 1) I find that just having clients in clam side-lying position with legs stacked, even before movement, the hip flexor of the top leg is already involved. Any suggestions? I have tried opening up the position (>90 , <90) , perfecting neutral position...nothing helps as yet. And, then even if the hip flexor calms down, it "pops" up into action the moment the knee begins to lift. However, I can put them supine and do Bartenieff single thigh drop and they are able to be out of hip flexor....??? 2) In your thinking, is a weak muscle also tight? And finally, I would love for you to do a "Bartenieff/Laban inspired Pilates Matwork" video some day. Thank you again for an exceptional and informative video, Amy
Linda R
On: December 10, 2013 06:56 AM
When a client has problems doing "clams", I put the client supine with a theraband tied around their knees. I keep one leg stable and have the client open one leg at a time against the theraband. Is a weak muscles always tight? Not always. Sometimes when a client is tight and is not moving correctly at a particular joint, they will hypermobilize somewhere else. Like the client in the video who is very hypermobile in the legs, she braces down in her spine to create stability. I would love to do a video with the Bartenieff/Laban material. Irmgard Bartenieff has tremendous influence on the Pilates community. Being once faculty of the PhysicalMind Institute and now Balanced Body, You can see that in Eve Gentry's Fundamentals that is in the PhysicalMind and now Balanced Body's movement Principles. I would love to bring in the rich material that addresses how the body moves 3 dimensionally in spiral movement. thanks for your questions. Leslely Powell
Stella
On: December 13, 2013 08:03 AM
Thank you for your quick reply, Lesley
Emily
On: January 04, 2014 13:24 PM
Hi Lesley, Thank you for the information packed video. I look forward to using my improved understanding of the lateral hip. I have a client with hip replacement on R and no cartilage on L knee and L ankle that was injured and is stuck in a pronated position. We have made great strides in improving glute med strength, balance, and coordination. The exercise variations you offer are so helpful as I look for ways to keep things "fresh". Using the theraband will be my go to prop for him. Susan
Linda R
On: January 12, 2014 08:04 AM
Even when a client has a serious injury, I find maintaining balance of the muscles still important. Your client's gait has to change due to the injuries. They will never use their foot and leg like before. I have a client w. A pin in her ankle. Maintaining leg strength from ankle to the hip, helps her alignment and some relief from overuse of muscles to work around the injury. Thanks for your reply.
(You must log in post here.)