Forum / Let's Discuss! / Joy%20Pulueo%20Breast%20Cancer

This topic contains 5 replies.
By Message
Stella
On: June 08, 2018 10:57 AM
Hi Joy, I am enjoying the video you taped on Breast Cancer and am compiling questions for you , but, in the meantime, I had to let you know that working with the soft ball on my client's chording she has on her left pectoral region really worked to soften the tissue in our 1 session and we massaged it for maybe a total of 3-5 mins max. She was awed and so was I! Thank you for taking the time to film your work with Fusion Pilates. I am a Gyrotonic instructor and would love to know how you work in the Gyrotonic system and if you'd recommend working on the equipment? Warm regards, Amy
Vangie
On: June 14, 2018 13:08 PM
Hi Amy, Thanks for your message and please, as you come up with questions feel free to ask. Re: the soft ball...cording is an interesting topic. There is research supporting massage and "breaking down" the cording. For our purposes as practitioners who are not licenced PTs or massage therapists I am a bit careful when recommending anything that is potentially a hard surface on the skin and affected areas. If there is any lymphedemia, hard surfaces may further break tissue down. That having been said, for this particular client, it seemed to soften tissue and to be beneficial. Movement, and especially moving the whole arm, including the wrist, also seems to gently achieve some of the same "softening" effects. Re: Gyrotonic. In truth, Gyro, whether on the equipment or Gyrokinesis, is superb for this population. The undulating, breath driven, movements are excellent for creating motility, increasing circulation and restoration of the upper limb pump. In addition, Gyrotonic explores the "spirals" of the upper limb. These spirals are excellent for softening the cording, waking up the nervous system through the arm, and increasing fluid motility. Thanks again for your response. Happy to keep talking about it!
Stella
On: June 21, 2018 15:44 PM
[QUOTE="JoyPuleo417, post: 785, member: 6603"]Hi Amy, Thanks for your message and please, as you come up with questions feel free to ask. Re: the soft ball...cording is an interesting topic. There is research supporting massage and "breaking down" the cording. For our purposes as practitioners who are not licenced PTs or massage therapists I am a bit careful when recommending anything that is potentially a hard surface on the skin and affected areas. If there is any lymphedemia, hard surfaces may further break tissue down. That having been said, for this particular client, it seemed to soften tissue and to be beneficial. Movement, and especially moving the whole arm, including the wrist, also seems to gently achieve some of the same "softening" effects. Re: Gyrotonic. In truth, Gyro, whether on the equipment or Gyrokinesis, is superb for this population. The undulating, breath driven, movements are excellent for creating motility, increasing circulation and restoration of the upper limb pump. In addition, Gyrotonic explores the "spirals" of the upper limb. These spirals are excellent for softening the cording, waking up the nervous system through the arm, and increasing fluid motility. Thanks again for your response. Happy to keep talking about it![/QUOTE] Thanks, Joy!
Silke L
On: September 13, 2022 08:25 AM
Hi Joy. I took this workshop in 2018 and was now reminded of it because I have a new client who went through a mastectomy some years ago,- in her twenties. They reconstructed her breast with a Lat Flap. She had 8 or 9 surgeries some big scars are visible. She has a breatsize D I think. Also all her axial lymph nodes were taken out and her armpit feels numb. She is in pretty good shape, goes to the gym, where she does very focused training for her legs and her arms, trying to avoid any exercises that would train her pecs or the lattissimus. She is afraid that the muscle growth would give her a bigger breast on the side with the flap. She came to me with back and neck pain. Never heard of fascia.. My question is whether that can really happen,- doing training for her upper back and the lats - will that make the former latissimus tissue that is now made into a breast grow? And secondly - will a lymph massage on her arm and neck and sub-clavicular region help her lymphatic system, even though the connection beneath the armpit is not there anymore? I am grateful for an answer, best - Silke
Joy P
On: September 13, 2022 02:31 AM
Hello Silke, Very good question. While a portion of the lat has been used to fashion the breast mound, the tissue no longer shares the same bony attachment points and is therefore not directly related to the work the of the lat itself and movement of the arm...however, if there may be blood supply that is still shared between the lat and the reconstructed breast and this increased circulation to the muscle may well be shared with the breast tissue. I say may because plastic surgery is changing rapidly and these surgeries are rapidly changing with the new techniques. One of her primary considerations is to keep the lat not only strong, but supple, to avoid deep scaring from impacting range of motion and tissue gliding. It is also important to work on postural endurance as loss of lat and the scarring may well impact the endurance of the upper back muscles leading to neck, shoulder, upper back spasms, low back pain and all manner of compensatory movement patterns. Regarding your second question...Manual Lymph Drainage, which is a very light touch massage technique, will be very helpful. Many clients see it as so light they do not understand it is actually a stimulant for the lymph system and supports lymph circulation. Highly recommend BUT only with a qualified practitioner. If you have other questions, feel free to reach out to me at joy@pilates.com. All the best and thank you for your questions.
(You must log in post here.)