Forum / Let's Discuss! / Hip%20Popping%20and%20Diagnosing%20the%20Problem

This topic contains 4 replies.
By Message

On: March 30, 2015 18:55 PM
Hello! Hope all is well with everyone at Fusion! My first year and a half with Jude has been wonderful and Pilates has once again proved its value in my post-natal recovery. I am almost in full swing with work and am hoping to be a regular on the forums once again. My question is in regards the "hip pop", or snapping hip syndrome as I have heard it called. I have heard and read that it can be a result of many things, the femur sitting incorrectly in the hip socket, a tight psoas or ITB, enlarged attachments, inflammation, torn labrum, and on and on. I have worked with many clients who suffer from this - and I have found most often that a combination of stretching of the psoas, quads, an external rotators, reducing or modifying the range of motion of the hip and leg, along with lumbopelvic stability exercises can help with the issue; although it of course depends largely on the ability and awareness of the client which, of course, can be a challenge. I am wondering if you have any diagnostic exercises to help pinpoint what is causing the pop, and if you have any rule of thumb guidelines or contraindications for someone who presents with this issue. Thank you so much, Jackie PS My reformer apprentice program has served me well and I will definitely be back for more!!!!
Jennifer G
On: March 31, 2015 15:40 PM
Hi there Jackie! So happy to hear you are back in the swing of things at the studio after spending time with sweet Jude! And we are so happy to hear that your reformer apprentice was insightful and informative! As for the hip snapping... This is a very common and often illusive issue that arrises in the studio... heck, it HAPPENS to me all of the time! There are so many different things that this sounds can be, and what is helpful is to try and locate the where the sound is coming from. Often it can be from the level of the si joints. Many times, this can be loud but does not cause pain in the area. It often arises in exercises like feet in straps, marching, or even roll downs on the cadillac. What I try and do in this case is pillow up the low back and pelvis a good deal to help support the si joint. The combination of pillows, blankets, and smartspines will be different for every person. From there I do all psoas/ core work with this support really cueing the multifidi while releasing the sitting bones. I keep the quads out it by doing marching and the like with bands around the knees to keep the thigh and shin in contact with each other. Now if the sound of the snap comes more from the front of the pelvis or femur head area and is accompanied by pain, this is a red zone for us, and they need to go get checked out by their doctor. And on that note, anyone who is having chronic popping or snapping anywhere in their body while moving should just go get it checked out by their MD. It isn't our job to diagnose what is happening in our client's bodies, and why speculate when you can know what is really going on. That was you can serve your client in the most effective, and least harmful manner! I know for myself with this problem I REALLY have to stay on top of my release work in my pelvis land legs (mostly hamstrings and lateral hips) so that I can focus on collecting my core activation at the level of the multifidi and psoas. As I am hyper mobile this is something that I have to really keep up on to get around the popping! I hope this helps! Much Love, Casey Marie Herdt

On: April 20, 2015 15:08 PM
Casey thank you so much! And for the quick response, I read your reply almost right away and wanted to take the time to write a proper thank you for your detail and instruction; I really appreaciate you taking the time. Your advice is proving to be enormously helpful with my clients and my approach to the problem. I'll let you know if I have made progress - I imagine I will continue to have more questions!!
Jennifer G
On: April 20, 2015 21:20 PM
Anytime Jackie! I am happy to hear that the info helped, and I can't wait to receive your updates! Much Love, Casey Marie
(You must log in post here.)