Forum / Let's Discuss! / Client%20with%20Spine%20out%20of%20alignment

This topic contains 4 replies.
By Message

On: May 15, 2013 15:06 PM
Hi, I have a new client who is quite athletic and has chosen to do the reformer with me. Last week she came to me and verbalized that her back hurt after doing TRX elsewhere. I did her postural analysis and felt her spine; her L7 felt completely ajar (off to the left). She stated that that was the exact area bothering her. I was excited to have noticed this, but then didn't know where to go with it!!! We used the session to stretch, and be gentle. Fortunately she agreed not to have an intense, athletic session, however, I need help!!! Thanks, Heather
Casey H
On: May 16, 2013 11:21 AM
Hi Heather, We see this happening a great deal in our studio also especially with the popularity of TRX and CrossFit etc. When clients are not prepared from their foundation up to handle these very large ranges of movement at high speed, lots of impact etc it can cause horrendous dysfunction and compensations. The body is so helpful to us that it will accommodate whatever we do with it...Good, bad or in between. If we choose the later two there will eventually be a price to pay...Less mobility, over work in target areas while other areas are ignored , rigidity and down right pain day in and day out. Pilates should be the arena of proper body mechanics and ease of movement. The Pilates method should teach one how to build their foundation from the floor up so that they can serve a tennis ball, dunk a basketball or lift the groceries. If your clients are not held from the inside out they will soon break down. If they come to you from a TRX type of workout and are injured and/or with chronic pain you can be sure that they skipped over their core and went right to their outer musculature to do those workouts. And now their body has had it. So in this scenario what can we do? Heather, there is so much you can do to help this client in the immediate to quell her pain and then continue the foundational/core work so she has the ability to someday do the TRX workouts without injury. You need to down train her and get her to use her brain/breath connection to fire her core corset. This tensioning of her fascia will help her to organize what has gone awry and ease her lumbar spine which has 5 vertebra. The 5th lumbar vertebra articulates with the sacrum and is very anterior and many people doing these big range, high impact workouts injure themselves in this area. If you need a little bit of a jumpstart and some inspiration on where to begin with this core training for your client you should really check out our mat apprentice or our mat refresher course. This will give you a step by step on how to lead your client into this awareness of how to build stability around the skeleton. We have lots of creative ideas and tools for you in the program. Let us know how it goes! Thanks, Jen

On: May 16, 2013 13:01 PM
Thank you Jen! And I am SO embarassed that I put L7. I meant T7. Yes, I am taking your Mat Apprentice course and it is wonderful. I will also be in Asheville for Mat on June 1. So looking forward to it:) Thank you, Heather
Casey H
On: May 17, 2013 10:26 AM
Hi Heather, I am so happy you are taking the Mat apprentice and that I will see you in the live course at the beginning of june in asheville! In the Mat apprentice online look at breathing and release and core activation weeks to get some ideas on how to help your client find her easy center and start to strengthen in a balanced way. Stay away from the big end range stretches for a while. Jen
(You must log in post here.)